The wedding party is identified from left to right, back to front, in the words
of Mary Preston Gray, the donor's aunt, in a hand written letter, dated
August 22, 1981. All unquoted comments are from Ms. Hager.
- James Levy, "one of your grandmother's beaus from Texas"
- Will Cobb, "another beau..."
- John M. Preston, III, "Mama's brother"
- Blair Preston, "Mama's first cousin and
the son of Grandpa Preston's brother, Uncle Charley"
- Steve Barnett, "a beau of Mama's who lived in Atlanta, Ga..."
- Dr. F.T. McFadden, "Pastor of Seven Mile Ford Presbyterian Church in 1895"
- Mary Peyton Gray, my grandfather's mother.
She also was descended from John and Mary Preston Lewis through
Anne Montgomery Lewis who married John Howe Peyton.
My grandmother's mother, Elizabeth Preston Lewis Cochran, was descended from
John and Mary Preston Lewis through Margaret Lynn Lewis who married John Cochran
of Charlottesville. Anne Montgomery Lewis and Margaret Lynn Lewis were sisters
making their grandchildren second cousins. Mary Peyton Gray and
her husband Robert Gray lived in Harrisonburg, Virginia.
- Joe Kent, "Papa's first cousin and Grandma Gray's nephew"
- Joe Cochran, "of Folly Mills, Staunton, VA. Mama's first cousin
and Grandma Preston's nephew (her brother James's son)"
- Frank Sanders, "a neighborhood friend..."
- J. Cloyd Byars, "He was a good friend of Papa's in Bristol..."
- "Monty" Jones, "a beau of Mama's who lived in Abingdon"
- Tarleton Alexander, my great-grandfather's body servant during the Civil
War. Tarleton lived with the family the remainder of his life.
"Family servant who served as butler and was loved by the family, who call
him 'Uncle Tarleton'"
- Jennie Greenwood, "a friend of Mama's who lived in St. Louis, Mo..."
- Lizzie Cochran, "daughter of Grandma Preston's brother Howe"
- Sarah (Sallie) Preston Dean, "Mama's sister"
- John Montgomery Preston, my great-grandfather, my mother's father,
- Elizabeth Cummings Preston, my grandmother, "My precious Mama -- Bride"
- Robert Gray, my grandfather, "My precious Papa -- Groom"
- Mary Preston Lewis Preston, my great-grandmother, "Mama's mother"
- Margaret Preston Woods, my grandmother's sister, "Mama's sister"
- Nelly Cummings Preston, my grandmother's sister, "Mama's sister"
- Gilbert Preston, "Mama's cousin who lived in Abingdon and was
the youngest of the 'Bank Preston' family"
- Susan Sheffy, "cousin who lived in Marion"
- Margaret Sheffy, "Cousin Sue's sister...moved to Texas"
- Annie Belle Martin, "friend of the Seven Mile Ford family and visited there
often...from Eastern Va..."
- Johnnie Richardson, "a very distant cousin who lived in Bristol..."
- Campbell Cochran, son of Anne Carrington and Howe Peyton Cochran
- How Cochran, son of Anne Carrington and Howe Peyton Cochran
- Cochran Preston, my grandmother's brother, "Mama's brother, was a preacher"
- Mary Barnett, "sister of Steve Barnett, she was a very dear friend of Mama's..."